|Affiliations||Chicano Latino Research Center, |
Critical Race and Ethnic Studies
|Office||214 Stevenson College|
|Office Hours||Fall 2016: TBA|
|Campus Mail Stop||Stevenson Academic Services|
|1156 High Street|
Santa Cruz, CA
Modern Britain and the British Empire; Black European Studies; Modern European cultural, social, and intellectual history; Black Atlantic; women's and gender history; history of sexuality; and world history
Biography, Education and Training
B.A., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
M.A., University of Colorado, Boulder
Ph.D., Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- Black London: The Imperial Metropolis and Decolonization in the 20th Century (Forthcoming from University of California Press, April 2015)
- The Women's War of 1929: Gender and Violence in Colonial Nigeria. Co-authored with Misty L. Bastian and Susan Kingsley Kent. Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- “Black Intellectuals in the Imperial Metropolis and the Debate over Race and Empire in Sanders of the River.” Brave New World: Imperial and Democratic Nation-building in Britain between the Wars. Laura Beers and Geraint Thomas, eds. London: Institute of Historical Research, 2012.
- “An Empire of Development: Africa and the Caribbean in God’s Chillun.” Special Issue on “The Documentary Film Movement and the Spaces of British Identity.” Twentieth Century British History 23, 1 (March 2012).
- “Colonial Subjects: Black Intellectuals and the Development of Colonial Studies in Britain.” Journal of British Studies 49, 2 (April 2010): 388-418.
Courses TaughtHIS 2B - The World Since 1500
HIS 101C - Oceans in World History
HIS 181 - Modern Britain and the British Empire
HIS 196Z - Europe from the Margins: Outside Influences on Modern European Thought and Culture
HIS 196H - Sex and the City: History of Sexuality in Urban Areas around the Globe
HIS 196A - The Global 1930s
HIS 181A / ANTH110O - Postcolonial Britain and France
HIS 203 - Global Decolonization (Graduate Course)
HIS 206 - Empire in World History (Graduate Course)
HIS 251B - Readings in Modern European History: Empire (Graduate Course)