|Web Site|| Radio Survivor - my blog about radio|
90 Cubed Rule - my course website
|Office||280 Stevenson College|
|Office Hours||Fall 2016: TBA|
|Campus Mail Stop||Stevenson Academic Services|
|1156 High Street|
Santa Cruz, CA
United States history; world history; history of the Cold War; radio and telecommunications history.
Biography, Education and Training
Ph.D, Claremont Graduate School (now University)
- Radio 2.0: Uploading the First Broadcast Medium, 2016
- Uneasy Listening: Pacifica Radio's Civil War, London: Black Apollo Press, 2005.
- Pacifica Radio: The Rise of an Alternative Network Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1999; Robert Dawidoff, series editor; updated edition in paperback, 2000
- "The Triumph of the Visual: Stages and Cycles in the Pornography Controversy from the McCarthy Era to the Present," The Journal of Policy History, Volume 7, No. 2, 1995.
- "Pacifica Radio's Crisis of Containment," in McCauley, Artz, Halleck, and Peterson, eds., Public Broadcasting and the Public Interest, New York: M.E. Sharpe, December, 2002.
- "Right out in public": Pacifica Radio, the Cold War, and the Political Origins of Alternative Media", Pacific Historical Review, Volume 67, Number 4, November 1998.
- "Hybrid Highbrow: KPFA's Reconstruction of Elite Culture, 1942-1960," The Journal of Radio Studies, Volume 5, Number 1, Winter, 1998.
Courses TaughtHIS 10B, The United States of America from the Gilded Age through the Cold War
HIS 110E, What Is a Nation? The U.S. from 1877 to 1914
HIS 110F, The United States from World War I through World War II
HIS 110G, The U.S. after the Second World War
History 117: The Cold War