David Henry Anthony III
|Affiliations||American Studies Department|
|Phone||831-459-4028 (office), |
|Web Site|| Personal Site|
Globalizing Black History: Intellectuals, Politics and New Approaches to Transnationalism, May 21st, 2010
KUSP Film Gang 88.9 FM Santa Cruz
KUSP Film Gang Tumblr Blog
|Office||532 Humanities 1|
|Office Hours||Fall 2016: TBA|
|Campus Mail Stop||Humanities Academic Services|
|1156 High Street|
Santa Cruz, CA
African and African-American history, art, music, literature and cinema; eastern and southern Africa; African Languages; Indian Ocean wold; African and African American linkages; Islamic civilization; African diaspora studies; world history
Biography, Education and Training
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Max Yergan: Race Man, Internationalist, Cold Warrior New York, New York University Press, 2006
- "Unwritten History: African Work in the YMCA of South Africa," History in Africa: A Journal of Method 32 (2005), 435-444
- "African Film Festivals in Focus," Documentary Box 24: Quarterly Journal of the Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival, Tokyo (March 10, 2005)
- "Max Yergan Encounters South Africa: Theological Perspectives on Race," Journal of Religion in Africa 34:3 (2004): 235-65
- "Crossing The Water: African-American Historical Linkages with South Africa." Co-editor with Robert R. Edgar and Robert T. Vinson (Ohio Press, forthcoming)
- "'The Men of Me': Max Yergan and the 'Bantu Section'of the South African YMCA Association," in Black Modernity: Discourses Between the United States and South Africa, Ntongela Masilela, ed. (in press: Africa World Press, Trenton, 2004).
- "Islam in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania." Studies in Contemporary Islam. Volume 4, Number 2 (Fall 2002)
- African Lliberation Poster Art. Curator. June-Sept 2002:
- UCSC Library, California Learning Resource Network, UCSC Currents
- "Max Yergan in South Africa: A Transatlantic Interaction." Imagining Home: Class, Culture and Nationalism in African Diaspora, R. Kelley and S. Lemelle, eds. London and New York: Verso, 1994.
- "South African People's History." History from South Africa: Alternative Visions and Practices, J. Brown et al., eds., 277-86. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1991.
- "Oswin Boys Bull and the Emergence of Southern African 'Nonwhite' YMCA Work," Journal of Anglican Studies, 2011
- "Freedom: Life After Slavery," prepared for Teacher Created Materials [With Stephanie Kuligowski] Huntington Beach, CA: 2012
- "Langston Hughes: Harlem Renaissance Writer," prepared for Teacher Created Materials [With Stephanie Kuligowski] Huntington Beach, CA: 2012
"A Luta Continua: African Liberation Posters from the collection of David H. Anthony," McHenry Library, UCSC, Summer 2002.
- Enduring Questions about Diamonds, December 11th, 2006. Interview with "To The Point" on KCRW.
- Talk of the Bay radio interview on KUSP 88.9, March 27th, 2006. Discussion behind the mystery of Max Yergan, black activist turned apartheid supporter.
- Africa Today interview, KPFA 94.1 FM, Berkeley, January 3, 2011.
- "Remembering John Hope Franklin," 7th Avenue Project, KUSP-FM, Sunday March 29, 2010
- "Remembering The Life and Work of Dennis Brutus," Poetry Show, KUSP-FM
Guest artist (tenor saxophone), Karlton Hester
Courses TaughtHIS 30, The Making of Modern Africa
HIS 121A, African American History to 1877
HIS 121B, African American History: 1877 to the Present
HIS 137A, Africa to 1800
HIS 137B, Africa, 1800-Present
HIS 137C, African Cinema
HIS 190N, Topics in African History
HIS 190O, African American Historiography