|Affiliations||German Studies, |
Environmental Studies Department
|Office||281 Stevenson College|
|Office Hours||Spring 2017: On Leave|
|Campus Mail Stop||Stevenson Academic Services|
|1156 High Street|
Santa Cruz, CA
public history, U.S. foreign relations, global environmental issues, German history
Biography, Education and Training
Ph.D., History, University of California, Berkeley
Honors, Awards and Grants
Academic Senate's Administrator of the Year Award for 2010-11, UC Santa Cruz
- The Edge of Texas: A History of El Paso and Ciudad Juárez since the 19th Century. In-progress manuscript.
- The Game of Conservation: International Treaties to Protect the World's Migratory Species. Athens: University of Ohio Press, 2009.
- How Green Were the Nazis? Nature, Environment, and Nation in the Third Reich, ed. with Franz-Josef Brüggemeier and Thomas Zeller. Athens: University of Ohio Press, 2006.
- The Rhine: An Eco-Biography, 1815-2000. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2002.
- Water and the Environment since 1945: Global Perspectives, vol. 7 of History in Dispute, ed. with C. Miller and K. Showers. Detroit, Mich.: St. James Press, 2001.
- Pax Atomica: The Nuclear Defense Debate in West Germany during the Adenauer Era. New York: Columbia University Press, 1988.
Courses TaughtHIS 70A, Modern European History, 1500-1815
HIS 70B, Modern European History, 1815-present
HIS 2B, The World Since 1500
HIS 200, Methods and Theories of History
HIS 196G, Modern Germany and Europe
HIS 172D, Hitler and Nazi Germany
HIS 172B, German Film, 1919–1945
HIS 172A, Modern German History
HIS 75, Film and Holocaust